lichess.org
Donate

I'm garbage at chess

I suck and I need help. I know the basics of chess but i keep losing. I cant even tie. =(
Just play long games and think before each move. Keep practicing and you will get much better.
I don't know how to help. Perhaps the OP moves quickly without considering what the opponent's response is going to be.
In any event, becoming good in chess takes lots of time and effort. It cannot be achieved quickly and easily. No matter how good the player becomes there are lots of people who are much better. It takes lots of losses to learn to be better and stop losing.
I wonder if the OP can stop crying/raging/self criticizing/complaining and cursing in the forums after losing chess games and instead focus in analyzing the games and trying not to make the same mistakes again. With this approach, the OP will eventually win and draw some games. Otherwise, the OP will keep losing all the games and give up.
At your level you should not be playing those fast games. You won't improve as fast as you could if you don't play longer games and analyze them after. Learning chess is a difficult and long process. It takes years of hard work to achieve a decent level. Another thing, studying and practicing the game only is not good enough. You must learn about yourself, your mistakes, your tendencies. Try to eliminate silly blunders. Focus on making safe moves avoiding losing material without compensation.
@jjjason99 #1
Try to get into a good balance of analyzing your own games, reading chess books, watch chess videos, doing tactics puzzles, and playing chess games for say, 2 to 3 hours per day, during a few months. Be consistent and persistent!

It helps when you meet stronger players in real life, e.g. at a chess club, to be able to share ideas and analyze chess positions with.

This might be useful :
Beginners' Openings and Tactics - GM Varuzhan Akobian - 2013.01 ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh4sO1ICS_Q
Chess for Beginners with GM Ben Finegold (Endgame Studies ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVPueKsJgPU
http://www.saintlouischessclub.org/blog/chess-club-lecture-series-kids-beginners

HTH
Looks like from your move times that you're moving quite quickly. Stop that. Take your time. I suggest you play 15+10 or 25+10 games. On every move, ask yourself these questions:

1) What did my opponent just play? Does their move create any threats or cause me any problems?

2) What am I looking to accomplish in the short term? What move could I play to accomplish this goal?

3) Is the move that I'm considering safe? Does it neutralize my opponent's threats, if any?

4) If I play this move, how might my opponent respond? And how would I respond to their move? Am I happy with the resulting position?

If you answered no to questions 3 or 4, consider other moves and go through the questions again.

I know that if you slow down and think things through, asking yourself these questions, you'll very quickly eliminate many of your blunders which is the main reason for your losses. Soon enough this will become automatic for you and you shouldn't have to spend as much time in your thinking process. But until that happens, take your time.
Solid advice so far, esp. Josh's post.

And, as achja suggests, learn as much as you can from watching videos. The first video series I watched was Josh Waitzkin's series on YouTube which goes beyond the basics and teaches some advanced fundamentals: www.youtube.com/user/WiichessVids/videos

If you want to play on a higher level, you'll need to pay attention to how the higher level players are currently playing. And, you need to dig into their understanding of the game. For that, I recommend Daniel King's channel, PowerPlayChess: www.youtube.com/user/PowerPlayChess/videos

Lastly, there are a number of good chess coaches here on lichess: en.lichess.org/coach

Personally, I'd highly recommend IM Alex Astaneh Lopez. I've had a few sessions with him, and he has really advanced my understanding of the game in a short amount of time!

Best wishes! :-)
Great comment by Joshua. Play lots of game and don't be afraid to ask questions :-)
Important is also the thinking order:
First focus at all possible checks, then captures and threats.
en.lichess.org/ew8BUzz1/black#9
You missed a very nice check here. (King has to run -> no castling anymore and the king is on e2 or d2 and blockades the development of white pieces.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.